Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Spirituality for All the Wrong Reasons


Eugene Peterson

As my plane ride to Sacramento for business hit cruising altitude yesterday morning, I was perusing the latest issue of Christianity Today. From long-time Presbyterian pastor and the author of The Message, we are now blessed with this remarkable interview. If you do anything today, read this please!

My thought: all we Believing folk should take Eugene's ideas, and make them grist for discussions about the way we do church. This interview with Dr. Peterson serves to clear away the cultural fog we face in building the church. As I finished the article, I set down my glasses, and thought to myself, "Wow, now this is clear thinking about life in Christ." And then, out of the window of the plane, laid out before me, were the snow capped Sierras. Wow - look what God has done....and continues to do. Creating!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sacramento? Are you still here?

Steve said...

I knew that would get your attention. I am already home bro. I promise, next time I am up there, lunch is on me!

Anonymous said...

Heck yeah! Lookin forward to it!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link to this interview. It hits home in many ways with me and I'm going to have to read it a couple of times to get the full impact of some of Peterson's comments.

Having been through a time where emotional intimacy was a big deal for me, and having emerged, a little lost, from the other side, Peterson's words on this issue are extremely helpful.

I've posted on this interview and suggested we could start some kind of discussion on our blogs on the issues that are raised. What do you think?

Steve said...

Tim - Let the discussion begin!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...