Tuesday, October 18, 2005

I Couldn't Go To the Geek Fest


The picture at left comes from my friend Mark Roberts, who was a speaker at GodBlogCon this past weekend. I am sorry, but one look at this caused me to think - this looks like a convention of white guys who were all in the AV Club in their local high schools in 1975. And excuse me, but where are the women....hello!? Oh wait, I remember. The AV guys did not hang out with the girls! And where are the liberals? Same situation, I guess.

Alas, I could not attend, as Providence would have it, I was
here busy doing this. A better choice for me.

But perhaps it was ok that I was not there, after all. I found
this review very enjoyable, and a quick roundup for those reading this blog with other things to do in life.

Will I attend BlogCon next year? I am not sure. Here is why. I have been reexaming my life of late, as I am faced with the mortality of my own parents. I am trying to make good choices with my time; I want the days to count (not that blogging is a waste of time). As Mark Roberts and I have chatted about before, the whole blogging thing is something that our wives may not be too fond of. I can't win for loosing, as my wife used to be bugged by my extra hour or so of TV (read: Sports Center) viewing in the evenings. Now the PC takes the TV time, its nice an quiet in the house, and I am still not a completely wonderful husband. Sigh! I shall continue to try to strike a balance.


I wonder sometimes if all this typing and thinking is worth it. Will it make a difference for the Kingdom? Will anyone new get in the Pearly Gates as a result of my moving and heartfelt bloggage? In the end, that is really what matters, right - expanding the Kingdom? So, does it really make a difference if the former AV club gets together to feel good together at Biola about their mutual theological agreements. I am not sure.

Maybe it might be good if there was some form of Real World Experience track for GodBlogCon next year. A trip to a soup kitchen perhaps. Or maybe a blogging theme on caring for and discipling someone who is new to the faith? Just wondering. What do you think?

By the way, maybe the movie would work best if you put the film into the projector. Just an idea.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brother Norris -

Thank you for the link, I'm glad you enjoyed the tongue in cheek review.

The conference was actually an important event in terms of Kingdom potential, aside from the foilbles of fallen creatures.

I like your thoughts on next year; I hope you are able to come. Somehow I think you would be a positive influence.

On another topic: having been through two church destructions my heart grieves with you on the damage done at yours. There are no winners in these things, only losers.

I would love to share my thougts with you but this comment would be longer than your longest post.

Be encouraged dear brother God is still on His throne and there us not a thing we can do about it!

Steve said...

J.A.:

Thanks much for the encouragement!

Anonymous said...

Steve,

As you know, I was originally planning on going to the GodBlogCon and even planned my holidays around it. In fact, I think I had a promise of a Hawaiian shirt or something like that.

As it turns out, neither you or Rob attended and that would have been disappointing to me had I come. So it has all worked out for the best and certainly your weekend retreat with your church brothers and sisters was far more important.

I hear what you say about blogging, but for me it has almost become a spiritual discipline that helps me keep focused on the things of the Lord and the things of the Kingdom. This helps me consider ways that I can truly be a better follower of Jesus in the workplace. That alone makes blogging worthwhile for me.

It has also given me the opportunity to come in contact with people I never would have heard of otherwise, including yourself, Rob, Tod Bolsinger and Mark D. Roberts. And people like Amanda Witt and Becky. So blogging has had a kingdom influence on me in a big way.

But, like all things, it must be done in moderation and I find myself sometimes spending less time blogging and more time reading with the aim of trying to figure out where God is leading me.

So, if this is similar to the old AV club, then there are still some positives in that for community is found in diverse ways. Blogging is one of those communities that has had an impact on my life. And a lot of that impact has come from reading about your journey, my friend.

So may the Lord bless you in all your efforts, whether it includes blogging or not in the future. Hopefully, we can maintain a contact of sorts even if we don't meet each other face to face in this life.

Anonymous said...

Yes, there were a lot of white guys there. The best of the bunch.
It's the circle it drew from. I found it more open and compassionate, by experience than an emergent church dialog I attended just weeks prior. Who can figure??
I guess I'm a girl "geek". Never thought with my limited AV skills that I would ever be herded with them.
I hope you'll consider coming next August. It's for everyone and I found being on the campus very encouraging toward my opinion of todays youth.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...