Monday, February 06, 2006

On The Edge, Moving Back from the Brink


Perhaps I have done something rather irrational. I have recently agreed to serve a three year term as elder at my church. This is the same church that I have been mentioning here or the past year - you know - the one with the severe dysfunction and problems. The one teetering on the edge.

Maybe I should have applied for some other position. Captain of the "Titanic II" comes to mind. Starting a new car line - "The New Hybrid Fuel Edsel". Maybe a franchise selling space-heaters on a corner in Palm Springs in August. Arthur Anderson and Enron also come to mind.

When I first was asked if I might consider serving, my first thought was “should I serve as an Elder, or should I undergo some form of painful surgical procedure?” In the end, I decided to calm down, and trust what God might want to do. You may call me impulsive, if you wish. But I choose to believe that there is great hope for our church.....I have read about it being possible. Go, read.

That said, I consider service in leadership in the church an opportunity not for some form of semi-important title within the church, but rather an opportunity to, if you will, pick up my towel, and serve others. From my perspective, this is what our church needs now; those who are willing to serve. Through teaching, caring, loving other, picking up after parties, unfolding chairs, stuffing envelopes, running copiers, and maybe even......leadership. I hope I might be able to serve in this capacity.

This is my prayer. Lord, hear my prayer.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am proud of you.

Tod

Anonymous said...

The hardest thing to do is to offer ourselves in a leadership role within a church we feel is drifting... I did the very same thing at MY home church - a Presby church over in Glendale... many moons ago... in fact, I served with the now infamous George Barna! He writes books - I write blogs... such is life. Anyway, it was hard - but God worked powerfully during my 3-year term... in our church and in my heart. I know He will do the same with you. Oh, and I'll give George a call - maybe he'll wanna serve with you, too!

Anonymous said...

God bless. The church needs people like you who will serve in tough times.

Anonymous said...

I will pray for you man as you have responded to something that will be great...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...