Sunday, February 11, 2007

Denial is Not a River in Egypt


This is, to sum it up, baloney.

What is going on with Ted? Why does he need to tell us, that only after three weeks in therapy, he is "completely heterosexual"? After I was in therapy for three weeks, I could barely tell you what I was feeling about myself. Please, Ted!

Interesting thought in the New York Times, by a psychiatrist:

“Some people in the community that Mr. Haggard comes from believe homosexuality is a form of behavior, a sinful form of behavior based on certain things in the Bible, and they don’t believe you can create a healthy identity based on sinful behavior,” Dr. Drescher said. “So they define it as a behavior that can be changed, and there is this thinking that if you control those behaviors enough, heterosexual attractions will follow.”

While I don't subscribe to everything the shrink here says, I am very worried that Ted is trying to "make good" on his mistakes. Really now. For more thoughts on the weird stuff the church does to us, please read this, by my college chum, Julie. It really sums it all up, far better than I could.

I have to go remove the log in my own eye now.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad you posted about this. I need to. It is truly astounding that the man who has struggled (admittedly) all his adult life with this "addiction" and has tried every form of spritiaul discipline to overcome it... is suddenly well after three months. I'm with you. Hogwash.

Steve said...

Julie:

Thanks, and as I say this, I am reminded daily of my own feet of pure clay. My prayer is that those who are close to Ted would help him get a real grip on his own shortcomings. May we all have good people around us, who love us well and honestly.

Timothy Thompson said...

Thanks for the post and the link to Julie's article. Some real good thoughts that hit home to me, on both sides of the equation.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...