Monday, September 03, 2007

In The Shadow of the Moon!


I was 11 years old. We had dinner on TV trays in our den, and watched Neil Armstrong set foot on the moon. It was the buzz of our neighborhood for weeks; we had neighbors who worked in the aerospace industry.

Nearly 30 years later, as a part of my work, I walked through the buildings in Downey, California, where Apollo was assembled. Even walking through those long empty buildings, I got chills.

Just two days ago, I had the privilege of visiting
here, a place filled with the history of space travel. I met with people in Huntsville, Alabama, who actually knew of Wernher von Braun and his team of rocket men.

Truly remarkble stuff....make that "The Right Stuff".

And then, this afternoon, while taking a break at the end of our vacation, I spotted and article about this movie, due out in September. To my friend John Wierick, who reads this blog on occasion -- buddy, we are going to the movies soon!

This is real adventure, real courage! Watching this trailer gives me chills again...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

my brother "moonman" was born on that good ol' day of the moon landing. we were in Dallas, TX and I remember sitting next to my mom' hospital bed with my dad watching the footage on television.

Anonymous said...

Even though I was only 5 at the time, I also recall those events...and the LIFE magazine commemorating the event was on our book shelf for years. Having family and relatives in aerospace and touring KSC a few years ago always makes me appreciate the risks and challenges of space exploration. Yet, it's only a tiny taste of the heavens...in our age of Gameboys and DVD's, how can we be so complacent to this amazing adventure? As Steven Curtis Chapman says - we are playing Gameboy in the middle of the Grand Canyon - wake up and live the adventure!!!! (from the ground of course)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...