Sunday, October 07, 2007

Good News, Bad News

First the Bad News. UCLA was defeated by just about the worst team in college football yesterday; the semi-fighting (more like a pillow fight) Irish of Notre Dame. I was an eyewitness of this pathetic charade of a college football game. My wife/football buddy summed it up well in the third quarter...."Honey, I think the Goodyear Blimp is more entertaining than this game." The FA-18 fly-over during the national athem gave me goose bumps and tears; the Bruin football play gave me gas, and a rash.

I am not one to fly off the handle, but honestly, Karl Dorrell, the fellow who has been "coaching" (and I use the term loosely) the Bruins for just more than 4 years now, should have his photo next to the definition of "average" in the dictionary. He is 29-22 thus far in his coaching career in Westwood. My quick sports analysis: time for a change!

And now, the good news. Stanford 24, USC 23. The biggest cheer of the Bruin game Saturday night was the announcement of the final score of the USC game! It was a bittersweet Saturday night.

And for my friend Rob, who must be suffering greatly, a theological observation on these events. I find the SC loss somewhat of a substitutionary atonement for the Bruins sad season. Rob, please pass my thanks along to Pete and the Overconfident Crew. Fight on, heh.

3 comments:

Rob Asghar said...

Hmmm. Steve, I feel your pain, but I also believe that ucla will be ready to be a big-time program only when they focus more on creating their own success and less on feeling that USC's failures can atone for their own sin.

After the 13-9 debacle that knocked us out of a national title chase, reporters noted that ucla fans said they got more pleasure out of depriving USC of a national title than they'd have gotten from contending for a major bowl of their own. My football seatmate commented that ucla fans had a "looter mentality," happier to take joy from others than to build their own joy in a healthy manner.... Of course, that could also describe USC's basketball program to this point, though I think the new Galen Center and OJ Mayo show that we're wanting to change that. In the meantime, boy that Stanford team is fearsome!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

So what you're saying is that the movie Game Plan I took my family to was a good move? hehe.

Unknown said...

Oh rob. Drop the analysis. You know that SC for years only dreamed of depriving UCLA of success...

Steve, fab analysis and yes. Why is it that Dorrell will call a Time Out for a 3rd and whatever and invariably the QB gets sacked?

We need Rick Neuheisel!! The Ravens McNair isn't worth coaching, bring Rick back to NCAA and his Bruins. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...