Saturday, December 12, 2009

Goodbye to Cindy

This one will be a bit long, so be patient with me.

The Lag in Writing

I have not been writing here for over a month. I am not
really sure why, but now, between Thanksgiving and Christmas, in the midst of Advent, I have a reason to write, and perhaps the muse to share things here will return. Also, sometimes, its just good to take a break from my relationship with my laptop.

Older Daughter is now home for the Holidays, (this actually started before Thanksgiving) after a quite successful first quarter away at college. She returned Saturday from a road trip to Santa Barbara to pick up high school b
uds from college (in heavy rain), and is home safe. We are thankful for these graces.

Thanksgiving this year at our home was simple and warm, with a crowd of only seven; good friends and family together. Again, thankfulness is offered for these things. Today, Younger Daughter is in the midst of heavy studying; sophomore year first finals are next week.

Goodbye to a Dear Friend
I just lit the fireplace before I sat down to write, and the warmth of the fire is slowly filling the room. But now, something is quite different in our home. For the past 12 years, we have shared our everyday life with a wonderful, mellow, and very loving friend. Someone who never got mad at any of us; a chocolate Labrador, named Cinderella. Cindy for short.

And tonight, its different here. There is no one laying against the couch by my side, in her usual spot. I miss that rhythmic breathing, often snoring, and Cindy's interest in anyone new who came in the room; that tapping of her tail on the floor.......this is hard.

Cindy came to live with us in 1997, when Kelly was 7, and her sister was just 4. She was just weened as a puppy, and a big responsibility for our family. She spent lots of time in a crate on our old back porch, before we remodeled, keeping the washer and dryer company. The rest of her time she spent in our back yard, before we had a pool. She was one rowdy puppy, and had the skill to somehow completely destroy (with her puppy and adolescent dog teeth) a 4' high Bird of Paradise plant, and a 10' high climbing rose.

What I have just learned is that we take the little things in life so for granted. And Cindy, with her constant love and affection, was a gift to us. Each day, a dog who just loved us all, that thought that we did no wrong.

She was the source of much joy and laughter. When the girls were younger, and our back yard was just grass, each summer she would join us in the car, for a 15 minute ride to my parents home, for a long game of Frisbee-catch in their swimming pool. As a Lab, she just loved the water - it really was her second home.
And then, when our pool was finished five years ago, it became her real second home during warmer months.

I recall that very soon after we finished the pool, I noticed that something was acting up with the pool filter - the pressure was way above normal, a sign that the filter was somehow beginning to clog up. I thought we had a defective filter, I mean, the darned thing was brand new! I even called the manufacturer on their 800 number - and asked lots of questions.
Half way through the phone conversation, I thought I should disclose the twice daily swimming habits of our dog. The fellow on the other end of the phone burst out laughing, and said something to the effect of "there's your problem with your pool filter bud - DOG FUR!"

I confess
ed to a good friend the other day that I felt terrible, as I was more saddened by the loss of this dog than I had been by the loss of my parents in the recent past. This good friend, who has known me for 20+ years, surprisingly disagreed (maybe its because he loves dogs), and pointed out that Cindy was such an intimate part of our lives for 12 years. Nancy and I were still in our 30s. I mean, really now, that sweet old dog literally grew up with us. In our home. Every day. She watched us love each other, fight with each other, struggle with life, fight back and let loose with tears, laugh loudly together, and she was such a fixture of each day. She helped us stay ordered, with her twice daily feeding, the walks through the neighborhood. Taking the time to stop and pet her, and tell her what a lovely girl she was.

As the years progressed, the bouncy young dog became quite regal, as she slowed .


And so, last Friday afternoon it was 55 outside and gray and raining, when we said goodbye to our dear brown friend. Appropriate weather. At left is a photo taken moments before Cindy left us....she gave me lots of kisses before she left. What a sweet way to say goodbye. It still feels a little gray in my heart.

Cindy taught us lots of stuff. Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Be very sad when everyone excludes you, and makes you sit outside. When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity, and delight in the simple joy of a walk, or a run. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.

Take naps. Play daily. Don't ever take yourself too seriously. Let people touch you. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Be loyal. Protect your family. Never pretend to be something you're not. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, just sit or lie close by.

But for all the sadness, its worth it; for all the piles of love that sweet dog gave us. Sweet Cindy, you will be dearly missed. There will never be another dog quite like you.

3 comments:

Patrick Reeves said...

Missed your writing the past few weeks. Missed your perspective on life, parenting. Wondering if the effort required by our 15 week old pup is equal to the payoff for my wife, three boys, and myself, until now. Thanks again. Merry Christmas too a wonderful family I have never met.

Jeremiah's House said...

Steve, I'm sorry for you loss. We have a dog who we have grown to love. Scout is a 3 year old Golden Retriever. He is so unconditional in his love.

I appreciate the way you approach life.

Take care,
James

Anonymous said...

Earlier I found your blog via a December 2007 entry about the St. Olaf's College Christmas festival. I started reading your blog and found it touching. I sympathize with you greatly about the loss of Cindy. She must've been a great dog and family member. A couple of months ago, my wife, daughter and I lost our beloved "Lexie", a mixed breed Rotweiler/German Shepherd who inexplicably showed up on our front porch during a January ice storm in 1998. I had prayed for God to bless and protect our house and, apparently, God sent "Lexie"(short for "Alexander" but he related best to the diminutive form of his name). Weird as it may seem, Lexie's remains reponse in an urn on our bookshelf. Should the Lord further tarry, someday his remains will someday be tucked away with me in my coffin. Meanwhile, a hunter of my acquaintance (I don't hunt) had a little beagle who didn't like to hunt and asked me if I wanted him. I said yes so little "Eli" the beagle has come to live with us. Anyway, I like to think that somehow God will allow our beloved pets to be with us in heaven and, if so, I'll look forward to meeting your Cindy there and probably you there as well. In the meantime, may God bless you and your family and watch over you all. Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all. -Marshall Buckles, Rockville, Virginia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...